Hey there fellow travelers! Welcome to The Tolkien Road, a long walk through the works and philosophy of J.R.R. Tolkien. On this episode, we continue our discussion of The Lord of the Rings with Book 1, Chapter 10 of Fellowship, “Strider”, wherein we learn more about the mysterious Ranger, receive Gandalf’s letter, and find out about Merry’s run in with the Black Riders. We also discuss the wonderful “All that glitters is not gold” poem. By the way, if you haven’t already, please leave The Tolkien Road a rating and feedback on iTunes. We’d love to know what you think of the podcast. Enjoy the show!
Topics of discussion include (with approximate start time in):
- Tolkien Haiku for Book 1, Chapter 10 (~3:00)
- “Behind the Haiku” by Greta (~9:45)
- Guest Haiku (~13:45)
- Greta’s favorite passage (~16:45)
- John’s favorite passage (~30:20)
- Gandalf’s Letter (~32:30)
- Gandalf’s whereabouts (~36:15)
- Merry’s return (~39:15)
- The good will of Butterbur and Nob (~44:30)
And much more!
By the way, to see the Tolkien haiku(s) that didn’t make it onto the podcast, scroll down.
Haiku submitted but not read on air…
Barlinman the fool
yet an honest fool mind you
fears the Pilgrim’s wrath